Sunday, March 26, 2006

What a great experience yesterday ! I went with some friends to a "Fest Noz". This is a typical celebration in Brittany, a kind of giant party where you dance on celtic music !!! The party was at the exhibition hall of Rennes, in a big hall in fact. As we entered, we first went to the standing area: we had a really nice view over the Bretons dancing in chains, it was amazing to see...

One minute after we already were in the crowd, each one holding the little finger of a Breton beside us. From that moment, we've danced. Sometimes I could talk with Breton people and communication is in fact very easy, for instance when I went for some drinks (cidre of course)... I learned there are more than 450 different Breton dances and about 50 are danced in a fest noz. At the beginning of a song, the singer told us the appropiate dance for the song (mazurka, kiev and other names I don't remember yet), and we formed chains, holding each other the little fingers. Then you follow the tempo for the steps, and the movement of the hands. I understand why there are so many dances: each movement of hand is a different dance ! For example, one movement is as if you were rowing and rowing back, another movement is let the arms swing twice and then rowing once, just the way the chain goes never changes: to the left. There are also very difficult steps that I still don't understand !...

Generally speaking, it was very impressive and we had a lot of fun ! If there is another fest noz in the area, I'll go there for sure ! This morning as I woke up I was wondering whether I dreamt or whether it was reality... but I've found since my admission ticket (6 euros) and I know it was not a dream but a wonderful reality !

No comments: