Monday, May 26, 2008

The sound of music

What a brilliant musical that The Sound of Music! Delightful and sweet in a critical context for Austria, a turning point of the history of the country: the Anschluss. It was directed by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. There are many learnings in this musical. Many advices on how to behave with its children :-) , but more than this, this is a love story, a beautiful love story. And it's even more for me. I think this tale teaches us that life is nothing without troubles, without fears and without battles. Not meaning that war with weapons is good, I must say I'm rather a pacifist in that debate. I see it more philosophically and like this: battles to a spiritual end must be achieved, whatever people may think or not!
That is what we are living for, don't you think? Well, that's what came to my mind in the last scene of the movie, when the family is escaping the nazi soldiers and sees throughout the valley the mountains of Switzerland.
Austria, Switzerland... I remember the Great Dictator from Charlie Chaplin and when the Jews in the movie trying to escape the nazi Germany flee to Austria, considered then as a land of hope and happiness, where they could live from their work without being prosecuted... and then I see the resistance of Austrians to the Anschluss in the tonight movie and I wonder... If all this had never have to happen, which world would we live in nowadays?
So many things people learn from the past but time and again forget! Memory forgets, that's a fact. And that is why we need to entertain it with the sound of music...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol, c'est aussi un de mes films préférés, j'y ai consacré un paquet d'articles ily a plus d'un an dans mon blog ...